Friday, September 26, 2008

The State of the Economy

The national economy is not what I hoped to write about. However, it is suddenly extremely important. The same people who were, just 10 days ago, telling us “the economy is fundamentally strong” are now telling us we are in a recession, that’s right, a recession! And, now they are even going on to say if we don’t give “Wall Street” $700 BILLION or maybe a TRILLION or more, there will be a depression TOMORROW! I hate to tell you but, on Main Street there is already in a depression. This will cost at the minimum $7,000 to each U.S. family. Still, they say it may not work!
It is easy to place blame without solutions. So, here is my solution. Instead of giving our money to Wall Street, why not just give every U.S. Citizen $7,000? Let everyone (including the folks on Wall Street) have $7,000 each.
What would happen then? Well, I know if I had another $7,000 to spend, I would spend a large portion, but not all, on inventory which would put my suppliers to work and create paychecks for their employees. I would spend more on advertising the fact that I have inventory. That would help put local money to work here where I advertise. And, a smaller portion would be spent on entertainment. I am sure the local businesses and restaurants would like to see me in their establishments more often. I might even borrow more money which may somehow help local banks and even Wall Street. How would you spend your $7,000? I suppose you could give it to Wall Street if you wanted to but, I don’t think any sane person would do that in this economy.
Where would the money come from you ask? The politicians would have you believe that it is possible the government may make money on this deal! Do you think so – for one second? Yeah, like that is going to happen!
If they gave that same amount to the people the government could actually tax it and recover it in less than 10 years. That way it comes back to the government (us, because we are really the ones putting up the money) instead of just plain vanishing into Wall Street’s vacuum! What a concept!
Send this to your congress person, now, if you want to save your own economy.

No comments: